he last few years have seen an increasing water scarcity in most parts of the world. It is about time that we do something to reduce the high rate of water loss. With the changing climatic conditions, people must be aware of the alarming water shortage and the imminent danger in the future. There are various ways in which we can address the water problem. Rainwater harvesting is one of the effective ways of conserving water.
What is Rainwater Harvesting?
Rainwater harvesting (RWH) is a method of collecting rainfall and using it in the future. The collected rainwater is stored, or utilized in many ways. With the depletion of groundwater levels, RWH is the need of the hour. It is extremely useful in ensuring water availability in water-scarce areas. A collective effort of capturing the rainwater is also one of the best solutions to the urban water crisis.
Rain Water Harvesting has many benefits in today’s time.
- Free and Clean Source of Water– One of the major advantages of harvesting water is that rainwater is a free source of water, harvesting which can easily cut down on water bills.
- Easy to Install– The only essentials required to harvest rainwater are a collection system, storage tanks, and a simple pipe or tap system. It is an extremely easy way of collecting rainwater and directing the water runoff to the storage tank in the house.
- Multi-Purpose– The harvested rainwater is relatively pure and free of toxins and minerals. It can, therefore, be used for various purposes such as sprinklers in the garden, to water home-grown vegetable patch or crop plants in agricultural fields. RWH helps in a lot of household chores as well as on agricultural fields. During heavy rainfall, it also helps farmers divert rains from reaching the crops, thereby protecting them from getting damaged.
- Environment-Friendly– We know that using perfectly clean potable water to wash cars and flush toilets is an unsustainable practice and is against eco-friendliness. Hence, using harvested rainwater is an excellent way of doing our bit to help the environment. It is a great idea to use clean water for drinking and cooking purposes and using rainwater for all the other needs.
- Excellent for Irrigation– Rainwater collected by RWH is free from any chemicals that are found in groundwater sources, making it a great alternative for agricultural purposes.
- Reduces Ground Water Usage– With an ever-growing population using water at an alarming rate, groundwater sources and aquifers are under extreme pressure. RWH helps conserve the precious groundwater which is required as drinking water, and for cooking food.
“Every drop of water counts and makes a big ocean, so save rain water”
Rainwater Harvesting: Solution to Water Shortage
In ancient times, “Bawari” was a unique way of storing water in India. It was a conservation method that diverted the rainwater to man-made tanks through canals. However, in today’s times’ harvesting rainwater is an extremely eco-friendly alternative to it that saves water on small as well as large scales. RWH is a remarkable solution that can be used to address the problem of the water crisis in areas where there are enough rainfall and scarce groundwater supply. It has the ability to reduce people’s dependability on other natural resources for groundwater.
Let’s Save the World “Together”